Do you know that most of your kitchen cabinets are factory finished and manufactured? In fact, wood cabinets usually come with other protective coatings or enough varnish for buyers to make use of cleaning solutions during maintenance. The oil slick that forms on your kitchen cabinets is a mixture of food smears, grease, hand lotion and skin oil. This oil slick is transferred to your cabinets to make them less functional and all-purpose cleaners may not be able to handle the maintenance task.
Is your quest for kitchen cabinets, moldings, wood, or DIY maintenance tips that work? Explore the simple and straightforward tips in this article to help you maintain your kitchen cabinets without any difficulty.
1. Wood cabinetry should be handled in the same way you like to maintain any of your furniture at home. Water rings and spills should be wiped up immediately from your kitchen cabinets. It is not a good idea to leave damp towels or dish clothes on your cabinet doors. It will eventually form moisture that later destroys your cabinets. Studies have shown that mold development can occur fast in the presence of moisture. Remember that mold development can as well create chronic health complications that will leave you spending tons of dollars in the hospital.
2. Use a solution of mild non abrasive detergent along with a soft cloth for tough stains. This will help to dampen the affected surface of the stains for easy clean up. Rub the affected surface with grain slowly. Ensure not to move in the opposite direction of the wood's grain. Using a harsh cleaner or an abrasive compound will lead to the damage of your kitchen cabinet finish.
3. One good practice that will help to save your kitchen cabinets is by repairing any affected finishes. Getting a repair kit from the manufacturer remains a great idea. It is because your manufacturer may have applied a plethora of procedures prior to finishing the cabinets. There is every possibility that your manufacturer may provide putting sticks, felt-tip pens, or color coating in place of a repair kit. The most important thing to do is carefully follow the instructions provided to prevent any further damage.
4. Harsh metal cleaners or abrasive should not be used on hinges, pulls, or knobs when cleaning the hardware areas of your kitchen cabinets. These items have the capability of destroying the wood of your cabinets. With a clean, dry and soft cloth, you can buff the hardware for better result.
5. Dusting your cabinets by using a soft cloth is an ideal practice. On the cloth, you can sprinkle a light spray of furniture polish and slowly rub the drawers and cabinet doors. Ensure to get rid of polish excess and handle one area at a time. When dusting your home or other furniture, ensure to do the same to kitchen cabinets on a regular basis.
6. It is not ideal to spray a kitchen cabinet that has a glass material. If your kitchen cabinet doors come with a glass design, avoid the idea of spraying. This can affect the cabinet’s finish or its wood portion. Rather spray a paper towel or a lint free cloth and then wipe the glass surface.
In addition to the tips above, don’t make use of powdered cleansers or acids on your kitchen cabinets. It will be enough to wash your cabinets at least once every year. Dishcloths should not be used to wipe your kitchen cabinets as it can contain grease or left over detergent.
Crown moldings are architectural elements that are both practical and decorative. Very versatile, they adapt to all styles of decoration, while serving to enhance the architecture of the room and to hide the holes and joints between the walls and ceilings. They also can be placed around some furniture.
Here are some great tips to enhance the appearance and life of your crown moldings:
1. Transform the crown moldings with paint.
You don’t need to undertake a major renovation project to transform your crown moldings! A simple brushstroke can have a big impact. Paint is an affordable product accessible to all in the mode of application. It can also serve both to bring out or to conceal architectural elements in your home or commercial property.
Depending on the color scheme of the furnishing and the desired decoration style, you can choose a shade that is dedicated to the moldings, or you can use the same color that is on the rest of the wall so both the wall and crown molding go well with each other. If the desired effect is that of the contrast, while marrying well with the palette of colors of the room, you could be inspired by the color of one of the objects which are already part of the decoration, ex: a vase, a bed, desk, etc.
However, in rooms that are small or already very crowded, bringing out the moldings can give the illusion that the space is smaller than it really is. As a result, the color scheme needs to be carefully considered.
In addition, before applying the paint, be sure to prepare the moldings properly. If they have already been painted, you will have to sand to find the base area to create a harmonious design and decoration.
2. Choose decorative moldings that fit your living room, bedroom or any other room.
Moldings can have a positive visual impact on the perception of the size of the room, it is important to choose moldings that have the right size and the right width.
3. Explore patterns and materials
In old houses, we often see moldings with very ornate motifs or beautiful woodwork. In both cases, it is better to alternate the simpler moldings and the ornate moldings to avoid a too "stuffy" effect. Find out different styles and materials so the decoration will have the effect you like.
4. Make custom moldings
Home improvement shops offer excellent products, but if your budget allows, call a craftsman or a carpenter in your local city who can make your custom moldings. The result will be perfectly suitable to your home, because the artisan will be able to work by adapting to your tastes and your needs, while taking care to adjust the moldings according to the exact dimensions and the layout of the room.
5. Make sure the installation is done properly
Many people think that the installation of moldings is a task accessible to all. Instead of using renovation professionals, they decide to do it by themselves. On the other hand, as the installation requires a lot of patience and precision, the result may leave something to be desired. Each section of the molding is laid independently and if one is not careful, the edges may be slightly uneven.
If you don’t have good skills in renovation or carpentry, it is highly recommended to hire a local carpenter near you. The same goes for painting. If you hire an experienced painter, you will be guaranteed that the result will meet your expectations.
To get help in crown molding repairs, installation or maintenance; don’t hesitate to contact Carpenter Montreal!
Having a custom made piece of furniture is a challenging project, especially because it allows you to participate in the creation of a product. Here are the top five benefits of creating an amazing piece of furniture or cabinets:
1. Enjoy a perfect fit: after calculating the length, width and depth of the space where you want to install the furniture, you can try to look for the model with compatible dimensions in the local stores ... but this quest can sometimes be quite tiresome! A custom bookcase, desk, or sofa allows you to adjust to the millimeter, nothing less.
2. Choose all the features: tailoring allows you to check materials, dimensions, colors and finish. In reality, it is impossible to be disappointed with the result!
3. Encourage a local carpenter or woodworker in your area: Made-in-China furniture , for example, is often inexpensive. On the other hand, if you want to encourage the economy in the Montreal area, you have every interest in drawing and making a piece of furniture by one of your local contractors.
4. Have a unique piece: with a custom piece of furniture you have room for imagination and emotional appeal versus furniture sold in big box stores.
5. Obtaining a high quality product: companies that have made-to-measure clothing are keen to offer durable and aesthetic products - which provide total satisfaction to their customers!